Saturday, October 27, 2007

The making of a greenland paddle

Result of 1 day working with wood: 7 new Greenland sticks - picture by Tom van Steenbergen

Tom and Dick of qajaq.nl held a workshop Greenland Paddel Carving at the local kayak club of Amersfoort. I enjoyed a full day of woodworking - hard labour, but very relaxing. Still a bit sanding and oiling to do, but I am proud of my custom made stick. Can't wait to get out and do some greenland rolls with it! Up to now it was mostly a bit improvisation with an Euro-bladed paddle.

I will bring the stick along in the pool sessions this winter: time to practice what we learned from Freya in the Underground Rolling Factory!

Don't blame your paddle: Andrew recently posted a must-see video at his blog in which Leon Somme shows next to Dubside that almost all Greenland rolls, can be done with a Euro-blade. I manage some, but the Palluusineq (sculling on chest) with a euro blade is self-drowning for me. Leon makes it look like a piece of cake.





Thanks to Dick and Tom for a perfect workshop!

No comments: